

So, I LOVED being pregnant sooo much and I love the whole birthing process. So much so that I KNEW after this pregnancy I wanted to work with either pregnant women or New moms and Newborns.... Since I'm SO afraid of needles and blood medical assistant or nurse is out of the question. I also thought about being a doula, and as where that would be so wonderful, I don't know how many people looking for a natural child birth would want to hire a doula who has had epidurals with both deliveries. Then it came to me.. A Lactation Consultant..

After the experiences I've had with breast feeding, I would love to help other mothers with their Breastfeeding issues. And I would LOVE to work at a maternity ward! So if all goes as planned I begin class on June 30th and I'll be ready to practice by September next year! I'm so excited, it feels so great to whole heartedly feel this is the right decision for me and my family. I'll keep you all posted about my progress!
5 comments:
We are excited for you!!
i kind of feel like a blogger stalker, i can't even tell you who i found your blog through, but i did go to westwood with both of you... anyways, my mom was a lactation consultant for along long time before she went back to school to become a pediatric nurse practitioner. if you need any help in what route to take to accomplish this amazing goal i would be glad to help you out.
Lindy Lee-O'Camb
Hello,
I'm Lindy's Mom, the Lactation Consultant and Pediatric Nurse Practitioner. I developed the Lactation Programs at Banner Children's Hospital and I currently am in private practice at R. Jones Pediatrics in Chandler.
As part of your training, you will need some education and to acquire many, many practice hours(2500-4000;kind of like a residency). It is tough to get into a hospital and acquire those hours as you need to be an employed RN. So, you must schedule your hours with LCs who are in private practice.
I would be happy to have you schedule as many hours as you need with me. You can reach me at 480-222-8080 (ofc) or 480-503-8997 (home). I am excited that you are interested in becoming an LC.
It is a wonderful profession with many, many rewarding experiences. I receive these rewards everytime a new mom and baby can make this connection. It is an exultant moment for a new family and brings such health and well-being to all who participate. I would love to be a mentor for you!!
Check out www.iblce.org for your requirements and application.
Merrie Rheingans, MSN, CPNP, IBCLC
Wow, that would be an interesting job! A much needed profession though. It is SO discouraging the first time trying to get it right. you are too funny though, I think I HATE being pregnant more than anything. If I wasnt rewarded with a beautiful little baby I would never do it again.
Hi, my name is Stephanie and I saw your blog through Lindy's and I also want to be a lactation consultant. How did you get started, where are you taking classes?
Could you please help me find information so that I could get started too?
klemmybean@aol.com
Post a Comment